Thursday, September 10, 2009

RAINFALL AND A SLICE OF METRO


Ummm..as far as I could remember…it has been an occasion or two..where I might have got stuck in water-clogged areas. Till date..I need not have to travel much..So I have escaped the thrashings of nature.. and blessed by the position of my locality.. I do not witness any such traumas !!! But.. everyday is not marked by uniformity.. and day before yesterday turned out to be “UNIQUE” !!! Had an important exam..hired a car to ease my journey to Central Kolkata..but fate decided something different for me!!! The heavy traffic accompanied by massive downpours distorted the schedule… was late at the exam hall..!!!!! Finally, managed to submit a decent paper.. (maybe!!!)… but the hangover is still on..!!!!!! What would have happened if I had to miss the exam!!!! Anyways, the return journey was a funny tale though. Rain drops danced at its continuous pace… coming out of the exam hall…I boarded the Metro. Luck was by my side this time. The wild rush in Metro is now and then making the headlines… creating a problematic situation all over!! It was not the office time..when I boarded it..so could avoid the crowd and had a safe ride. As I reached Sovabazar to take auto for my home.. I found myself in oceans : ocean of people and the flooded road!!!!! WOW!! What a scene… I wanted to take a snap..but anyways..I didn’t have any provision at that time!!! Somehow..i managed to jump into one of the running autos from the chaos… the auto driver warned the rates are doubled!! Cool..Who cares!!! Sitting beside the driver, the next 20 minutes or say..seemed to be a steamer ride on the Ganges..LOL!! Manhole has been opened to flow out the excess waters… but on the contrary, it has started ejaculating more water from the underground!!!! Boom..Booom!!! Two sudden sounds. Ohh.. tyres punctured of a nearby Maruti Van!!! Man, Woman trying to stride through the waters… mothers with the schoolchildren marching on… I wanted to join the gang!!! I let one of my foot hanging…as the Auto accelerated through the waters… splash..splash..splash…the sound was… as it clashed with the waters.. though I could see dirty polythene bags to platic glasses, rotten stuffs swimming aroud!!!Ahem Ahem!!!
Do not panic… I’m quite fresh now..!!!!! Anyways..next day..I went through the newspaper.. and found out Tuesday witnessed the highest rainfall since its tryst with Aila earlier this year….I do not doubt dear!!!!
Even the next day… I had to move out for some work..weather seemed fine..but as I walked past my house..within a minute or two… Rain God joined me on a walk..!!!! Tthe umbrella just saved my head…that’s it…!! This time too..I had to board the Metro from Sovabazar… luckily there were no downpours the previous night..so the area has got rid of the waters…and still boarding the metro in th office time..I found myself in a comparatively comfortable compartment.. Thank God!!.. Wrapping up my job after yesterday.. it really seemed that I passed through quite a hectic venture. Because I have not been going around much due to my “CAT”astrophic commitments!!! Phew!! … whatever it was.. I had fun..that’s what sums up!!
And yes..for the first time…I witnessed people yelling out at Metro ticket counters… “Dada..duto NAZRUL dekhi…”…. “ Amake ekta Surya Sen deben..”…. shit!!! sounded so sick!!!

But.. some pieces heard on a regular basis: Reporters line up at Kumortuli to search for updates and each year a copy-paste article – Workers in trouble; highly doubtful regarding their work completion before the Puja . Another One: Mayor and city officials are on a tour in the rains and reports condition to be better than previous time… but the commuters witnessing the same extent of hazards each and every time!!!

Arre..byata ei sarkar-ta toh rojkar khoborer kagoj aar manusher ghyanghyanani-er chotey birokto hoyeo kaaj shuru korte parre ektu..uff!!!! kichu toh monotonous public..mairi!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Exam kemon holo?You got stuck,khub deri hoeche bari firte?Btw,its Sweta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ya.. i know.itz u.. :D...

    umm.dis xm went just thikthak.. the biggies are waiting.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice picture of a water-clogged city. I think we should thank the gods to have been lucky enough to live in this city. After all, we do not need to venture outside in order to have an adventure. How cool is that? ;)

    ReplyDelete