Thursday, September 3, 2009

The Editorial Venture ~ RELOADED


This time..I do not want to number this article.. It's a new episode..i am not very sure..how long it would proceed... so..its the WRITING SEASON RELOADED!!!...

As usual..after mailing my article..I started browsing for mine from the following day onwards... and luckily...today it was the DAY..i was waiting for. Found my name first..that made me smile... but while I went through the content..i was a bit taken aback..!!! Phew..I was failing to recognize..the editing has taken a big role for the very first time...(previously..the editing was not on this large scale..)..

Here.. I am penning down..both the original and edited part..you can only recognize yourself.the reason for my surprise...!!!!

THE ORIGINAL PIECE

The plight of ours so called “valuable life” still remains a toy in the hands of drivers!! Can we blame them for their outrageous action? Simply NO. After all they are the ‘driving force’ that are dominating the roadways for years and will continue to do mercilessly. The Drivers are least bothered about their lives, and you expect them to care for ours - a mere sorry case.

Recent newspaper reports regarding the road accidents do not only trigger the ira upon these uneducated and unethical drivers , but also towards those corrupted hands who have made 'responsible' venture to manipulate the system of law and order at large. It is quite evident that the commission system needs to be done away with as soon as possible so as to scrap away the competitive mind that thrives in the minds of those silly drivers. But unfortunately , the roots of corruption, have dug in so deep that the transport minister of our State sounds doubtful regarding whether he can do away with the commission system or not in recent conversations!!! Really "applaud able"..!!!

As long as the system does not receive a good thrashing from us , our life would continue to remain as a puppet in the hands of these cursed system and such 'feted' drivers. The ball (of life) is still in their court!!!



THE EDITED PIECE

Calcutta remains at the mercy of bus drivers who have no regard for the lives of commutators.However, the ire against errant drivers should also be directed towards corrupt officials who manipulate the system and enable drivers to dodge the law. The commission system needs to be done away with immediately to stop buses from racing each other to get the maximum number of passengers. But the rot has gone so deep that even the new transport minister was unsure about doing away with this system,and could only say that he will "look into" the matter. Unless the people protest against such thoughtlessness , citizens will continue to be puppets in the hands of irresponsible drivers and administrators.

Did You See?..Well.certainly the change in language was disappointing..but while I realized..that the editorial board gave me a recognition ..it pleased me. Even it was a short lesson. The editorial section trimmed it in the style that they wanted my letter to be. So, next time.. I would be more careful to shape up my feelings in that particular order.

Well..that's is what sums up for tonite!!..You all bored... ?? oh.. I don't care!!! It's my space..I'm enjoying democracy..LOL!!!

4 comments:

  1. Editors are ruthless creators lurking behind your shadows trying to stifle your creative liberties to a mould that suits their taste. I do a bit of copy-editing myself and I dont deny the role of editors in subverting a copy to their likes couched under the pretext of 'cleaning it up'.
    Personally, however poor my own piece would be, I would never feel happy and obliged if that passes through the ordeal of passing through the fingers of an editor, so ruthless ans so loyal to the conventions of the newspaper or Tv channel that they belong to. I detest rape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. umm..very true..anyways.. i felt i should avoid the blame game..!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They just took the idea and gave it a shape,but I'm glad they gave you recognition.-Sweta

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you think editors should be re-christened as tailors? They wield the scissor quite well

    ReplyDelete